Tuesday, November 1, 2011

"I've learned so much, yet I still know nothing."

Dear Family

Well, we got our transfer calls on Friday morning.  Antamanov is being transferred and I'm staying in Lugansk.  That was way unexpected, especially considering all the work that he can do in the branch, being native and all.  I feel slightly unqualified to continue the work of keeping this branch progressing without him.  But I guess that's part of the process of growing, in the mission or otherwise- you do things that you aren't comfortable with.  It'll be hard, but good. 

Elder Nielson and I are both staying here (Arrington is leaving), and so we've been discussing a lot of statistics of who could end up coming out here to us.  It's a bigger deal to me than I ever thought it would be.  I already love my new companion, in a freaky weird missionary way.  Man, being a missionary is weird sometimes. 

In other news, I made sauce the other day!  Not just any sauce- Russian sauce!  Antamanov taught me how to make a sauce for chicken and noodles that is a family recipe or something, so I now officially can cook at least one Russian thing.  Be excited for me to show you all the foods!  I'm coming to love Ukrainian food.  The branch president has been feeding us a lot recently, every Sunday night, so I get to try all the awesome local food.  It's so awesome!  Make sure that I show you homemade "Vereiniki"  when I get back home.  That's probably my all time favorite.  We also had a really good kind of apple pie/bread thing.  These people know their food pretty well.

I just realized that I've been in Ukraine for 3 full months this week.  That's really strange.  I feel like I just got here.  I've learned so much, yet I still know nothing.  I guess that's where God fills in the rest.  I'll probably feel the same way when it comes time to actually go home. 

This has been a very good beginning to my mission.  Nearly 6 months since I entered the MTC..  Wow..  Time can't have gone that fast.  I guess I should be all super mature or something by now.. Nah.  I'm still me.  Just in case y'all were wondering.  I'm planning on still being me when I get home.  Just.. more of me.  If that makes any sense.

Well, time to get going with the rest of my day.  I love you all back home!  See you later!  I'm still missionary-ing out here, don't worry.  It's a good time.

Love,

Elder Brandon Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment