Well, this has been a pretty great week
missionary-wise. I'll start with the sad news and work my way up, so as
to leave you all with good warm feelings at the end of the message.
Elder Hales is getting transferred this week. This took us all by surprise. He and I were absolutely sure that we were going to get to serve another one together, especially since we've been together in a threesome, which is totally different than working in a twosome. I'm still holding out for a transfer with him in the future. Elder Rooney will be staying with me, which is kind of funny since he was supposed to have left a month and a half ago. Oh, craziness. You probably don't appreciate how largely these changes impact my life. Doesn't matter. When I get home I won't care about that either. Anyways.
As you know, we now hold English Conversation Nights
here. I had a pleasant surprise this last week when someone brought a
guitar with them. His name is T, and he looks like Justin Timberlake.
We talked for a bit about music, then he said, "Alright, you want to
try it out. Let's go." So we went to the next room and jammed for a
bit. People were in and out listening and singing along with us.
Moments like that so awesome. I love jamming. Little tender mercy for
me!
We had a great lesson the other day, too. It was
with a man named R; 24 years old with a wife and small child. He
had a lot of deep questions for us about the nature of God, and he
agreed to let us start our discussion off with telling him about where
our message comes from, aka the Restoration. It was the most powerful I
have ever seen the Restoration story impact anyone since I've gotten to
Ukraine. He was utterly blown away by it and further surprised that we
wanted to give him our book for free. His final question was that he
saw a brochure of ours that asked "Can my family live together forever?"
and he asked what the answer is to that question. We told him yes, of
course. He got really excited and told us that he's going to bring his
wife the next time he comes. All in all, great lesson.
The last little miracle of the week was during
contacting. Just before we went out contacting, Elder Coakwell (on
split) grabbed a bunch of brochures to hand out. During my prayer to
leave the apartment, I asked for us to be able to find someone who will
read that brochure, read through the Book of Mormon, and get baptized.
When Elder Coakwell got down to his last 5, he handed it to a man that
stopped in his tracks and read the brochure in its entirety. He then
looked up and said, "When was Jesus on the American continent?" So we
gave a first lesson right there on the street and he gratefully took a
Book of Mormon, excited to learn more. We have yet to find out if the
rest of my prayer will be answered, but I feel like it will. Be careful
what you wish for- you just might get it!
That's my week in a nutshell. I hope you enjoyed
your week concurrent to mine. I love you all and I will talk to you
again next week. Same time, same place.
Love,
Elder Brandon Porter
No comments:
Post a Comment