Tuesday, May 15, 2012

"Made me feel like I'm actually making a difference!"

Family,

First off, Happy Mothers Day!  Woot!  I hope you're all treating Mom very well for me this week.  Not that you shouldn't be nice the rest of the year... but right now especially!
I'm going to be talking to you all this next Thursday, so this email will be slightly shorter than usual.  I just wanted to relate a little bit of an experience from yesterday.

We had a District Conference this last Sunday.  There's a new Eastern European President, and he's touring around a bit to get to know the missions he's over, and this Conference was all of the branches under the Donetsk District coming together.  This was such an amazing experience.  If you didn't already know, all of the branches that I've served in fall under this district, so I got to see literally every member of the church that I've ever been around in the Ukraine.  It's so nice to go and talk to people I met while in the Office and find that they have some sort of good memories from my serving with them, which shows me that I succeeded in balancing my time between Office work and missionary work well.  It was awesome to see Lugansk there too. Just in the four months since I left, there's some visible growth in the members.  Z, one of the youth, seems like she's grown up a bit in maturity, and the new branch president is doing well.  

The person I was most excited to see was H, the Nigerian member in Lugansk.  He found me and gave me a big hug.  He told me that when I left he had gotten all prepared to just be forgotten by me since I was no longer serving around him, but that when I sent him that English hymnbook he felt like he had a real friendship with me.  I talked with him a bit and found out that his plan is to start up a medical practice over in Germany when he graduates, which will be just after I leave next year.  He's studying German now.  In Ukraine. Go figure.  I definitely am going to be life friends with Gabriel.  And I got really excited to find out he'll be in Germany.  We discussed plans of visiting him when he's settled there.  I'm excited!

So yeah, good weekend there.  I got very pumped up seeing everyone.  Made me feel like I'm actually making a difference!  Yay!  

Well, that's my big thing this week.  We'll talk more this Thursday.  Can't wait!

Love,

Elder Brandon Scott Porter, the first

No comments:

Post a Comment