Monday, October 17, 2011

"Thanks for teaching me those little things" - MTC Week #4

Hey Fam!
First off, I loathe the MTC computers.  So much.  I tried signing in, it signed me out saying it was invalid, but said "that counts as 5 minutes of your time".  The STRESS!
 a
Anyways, so how are you all?  I have thoroughly enjoyed hearing from you all.  I'm sorry, I was going to respond to each of your questions individually, but I left the letters back in the room, and I'm timed here.
a
Anyways..  Hey, how's Joseph doing?  I'd like to get a message from him too, if he'd be willing. I miss you all!
So let's see, something from the MTC.. well, to start off I found out that I am totally dead in Russian countries.  I say this because in class this week we discussed how Russians don't have a form of sarcasm.  Everything you say is taken largely at face value.  I'm assuming that's the same in Ukraine.  So if I'm not careful, I'm pretty sure I'm going to say something really stupid or something as a joke, and a Ukrainian will take me literally and destroy me.  So I'm going to be extra careful of what I say.
a
One of the elders in the district, Elder Silver, is insanely good at lots of stuff, including piano.  The other day he taught me how to "fake book" (I'm pretty sure that's the term) for hymns to make them sound more full.  It sounds so cool!  And it's pretty easy.  I'm practicing up a bit so I can be able to play in sacrament sometime.
Speaking of music, funny story.  So we often sing in the showers in the residence halls, just unwinding from hours of nonstop studying.  We usually break into Disney, hymns, or stuff that feels appropriate.  We were singing Hallelujah the other day and this one elder (not even in our zone) just starts saying stuff like "hey, guys, is this something that missionaries really should be doing?"  So we start yelling Once there was a Snowman (the InsideOut version).  We find ways to make things fun.  And I've been told that I have a good voice when I sing in the showers and stuff, which has hugely boosted my morale.  It's great to still be able to have music be a part of my life.
a
Hmm...The timer thing up at the top of the screen is freaking me out.  Everything here is extremely overscheduled!   I mean, we need to make sure that we are not wasting the Lord's time, but there's pretty much no time to breath if you do absolutely everything in its full capacity.  Luckily, my district is pretty cool and we find ways to make everything engaging and fun (where appropriate, of course).  We've had so many awesome doctrinal discussions, as well as other things like teaching techniques, body language, etc.
I do love having the Spirit as a constant companion.  There have been talks that are very pointed, essentially saying "if you're not worthy, you cannot possibly do this work".  I am so glad to be here and worthy to serve the Lord.  To be honest, I can't really think of a whole lot I would do differently in my life prior to mission.  Most missionaries are all like, oh I wish I'd studied more Preach My Gospel or something.  But I feel pretty well off.  Thanks, Mom and Dad!
a
Speaking of thanks,  thank you so much for teaching me little menial things.  I have become pretty popular here because I'm the only one that really knows how to sew, and ironing is hard for most people, same with laundry and cleaning bathrooms, etc.  Thanks for teaching me those little things.  Oh, and is the cookbook coming any time soon?  That'll be invaluable once I get to leave!
 a
The older district is leaving next Monday.  Russian countries only allow missionaries into the country every 6 weeks, so we are staggered on going into the country accordingly.  Soon we will be the older district.  That's so weird!  It doesn't feel like I've been here hardly any time at all!  Yet I also feel like it's been forever.  Make sense?
a
Well, MTC's cool.  I could tell you specifics on the intensity, but you wouldn't believe me.  So I'll just end here.  If there's anything you want from me, just let me know!  Pics, handwritten letters, books from the bookstore, anything.
a
Love,

Brandon... the missionary
 a
PS.  When is Madsen coming in? I don't remember
PSS.  I love adding postscripts.  I don't remember what I was going to put here, but it was going to be important.  Just so you know.
PSSS.  I REMEMBERED!  Hey, could you send some lyrics to Les Miserables or something like it every once in a while?  Just through Dear Elder.  I love having musicals running through my head! Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment