Monday, October 17, 2011

"Humming Kronk's sneaky theme song" - MTC Week #5

Family!


First off, thank you to all of the people that sent me messages this week!  I felt really special getting about 10 Dear Elders at the same time.  I'm going to try to address each of you in this letter.
So I hear Aubrey's been doing really well in singing and is keeping pretty busy still.  Way to go!  Be sure to record yourself periodically so I can hear your progression of getting better at singing.  I'd love to hear that.


Bailey, it sounds like you've kept pretty busy too.  Girl's Camp, end of school, hanging out with friends.  And EFY!  I bet you're pretty excited for that.  I'm excited for you!  Just so you know, the MTC is a lot like an extended EFY.  It feels like several weeks crammed into a very small amount of time.  Then imagine that, but instead of all the fun activities there's a lot of studying and devotionals.  When you go through the week, think about that.  That's about as close as I can get to describing this place.


Hey Joseph!  Thank you so much for your note!  I was smiling for two days straight because of it.  I'm very excited for you to go into 1st grade too!  I remember being excited for cafeteria food at that age.  And, no, I don't really enjoy wearing missionary clothes every day, haha.  But it's something you just have to do around here.  Love you, kid!


Before I get started on the rest of my letter, a little note to Taylor - Great to hear from you, buddy!  I'd love to hang out later.  How about August?.. 2013? :P  Good on you to be studying up on the language.  If you get too far ahead, though, you'll be bored out of your mind here.  I'd say that my advice would be to start up on studying the scriptures and marking important ones to you, especially in the Book of Mormon and Preach My Gospel (yes, it's scripture).  The language will always be there and you won't really master it completely until you're surrounded by it, but there is so much in the scriptures to discover that you won't ever finish.  Does that make any sense?  I feel like I was pretty prepared, but I think that it's always a good idea to study lots more.  It can only help.  I know you're doing great, because I know you, and you are going to be a phenomenal missionary.  I expect all of Denmark to be brought into the waters of baptism before you come home.  Go team!  [PS. Yeah it is fake booking that I learned.  I've been practicing piano every day to get better (because I don't have my guitar) and yeah!  I'll never match you, but soon I'll be able to whip out some sweet hymns.]


Now for what I've been up to:
.
..Studying.  Read my last letters.  Now multiply that by 6.  That's about as much studying as we do.  I have so much to study and so little time.  I am always the last one out of the classroom when we head to meals or anything because I want to get every possible moment of studying in before I absolutely have to leave.  That includes Russian, but I'm mostly talking about the Gospel.  And that's the Gospel truth.  Name that reference.


So I've been reading about Abinadi and how awesome of a missionary he is.  I absolutely love his speeches and how powerful they are, like with "Touch me not!" and his final declaration that he had done everything he possibly could in his earthly state and simply commends his soul to God.  It is especially cool to realize that Alma the Elder is the one recording this at a later time, and he remembers all the words of Abinadi, because they are so powerful!  I would definitely recommend everyone going to Mosiah and reading all of his teachings (I think it's chapters 14 to 17?)
More about my personal time here.. Well, I've been singing a lot here.  More than just in devotionals and class (we sing hymns before and after each class), we also sing as a companionship all the time.  We've come up with fun missionary versions of "Dig" from Holes, "Trashing the Camp" from Tarzan, and most recently we've remixed "Called to Serve" to include several variations in melody, some harmony, and beatboxing.  I absolutely love music!


And I've been thinking about music here.  Some people are really strict about "only hymns.. ever" and I don't agree with that.  D&C 25 states that "the song of the righteous is a prayer unto God."  I believe that God counts any song that is sung with righteous intent is worthy of Him.  No one can serve God and mammon and I think that this applies directly to music as well, no matter where you are.  It either is worthy to God (which includes SUCH a variety of music!) or it is of the devil. (Don't worry, we're still only breaking out the slightly jazzier songs in the residence halls)  I dunno, just a thought.


Huh.  I didn't mean to make that into like a fireside.  Oh well, enjoy.


The MTC messes with my head.  We're all cooped up in one place for so long that it HAS to start doing something to you.  For example, the other day the older Russian districts left.  They had these desks that for some reason I felt I REALLY needed.  I started fantasizing about how much comfier they are and how inferior the other desks were in comparison.  So, imagine this.  The instant they were gone, I snuck into their room all spastically while humming Kronk's sneaky theme song and swapped our desks with their desks.  Long story short, I will not be sane when I get back home.


Well, I think that's about it.  I'm having fun here, enjoying the spirit as well as the company.  There is always so much to study, and I really can't wait to get out and actually teach someone.  I am so going to be an Elder Calhoon when I first get to Ukraine.  Not understanding anyone, but running around attempting to get someone to stop and listen.  That's the dream.  Opened my eyes and it's only just a dream.  I reference too many songs in passing, probably.  I don't think Ukrainians will understand.  But oh well.


I am now rambling, so I think I'll wrap up.  I love y'all and miss you.  I am happy here, though, and actively engaged in a good work.  Keep those letters coming, and thank you for the ones already sent!


Love,


Brandon  (Elder Porter, if you wish)


PS.  Are the recipes being sent soon?  And I will be getting a better idea of what I may need in the field in the weeks just before I leave (Aug.2) so I will keep you posted.


PSS.  Thanks for the Les Mis lyrics!  That's been hours of fun already with Elder Braiser and I. 
PSSS.  Guess who found a way around that stressful 30 minute time limit on the email?  That's right.  Me.  Enjoy the slightly longer, less stressed letter.  (and sorry it's much later than usual.  Technical issues again)

No comments:

Post a Comment