Monday, October 17, 2011

"And thus it is" MTC Week #8

Familia!
Wrong language.  I don't really care at the moment, though.  So, hey, how's it going?  I've loved getting your Dear Elders!  It makes me feel like I was there with you doing all that fun stuff.  Oh, and let Grandpa know that I've been getting his messages and I really appreciate those little notes too!  Has there been any news lately on his health?
Is Joseph feeling better yet?  I'm sorry, kid.  I know how much that hurts.  Did his eardrum end up bursting?  Careful what you do with him while he's like that.  I still can't watch the shows that I saw while my eardrum popped last time.  Just thinking about it makes me shiver.  Sorry, again.
Bailey!  How was EFY!  I want to hear all about it!  Did you pig out on pizza?  Did you have a crush of the week?  What was his favorite candy?  Was it Mike and Ikes?  I expect an answer to all of these questions and more soon.
Hey, I have run into Spencer a couple times now!  It was great to catch up.  He looks like he could pass for being in his late twenties, he looks so mature, but he's still the same old Spencer when we talk.  He's had some pretty cool experiences!  Oh, and a bunch of his airforce buddies are new elders in my zone (four of them).  I thought that was a cool connection.  So yeah!  I actually saw him right after I sent off my emails last Wednesday and had to wait until just now to tell you about it.  Oh, and I've also seen Madsen's cousin, Michael Roberts around everywhere.  He's on my floor in the residence halls.  He's in a different zone, but still.  The MTC is only so big, and there's only so many Russian elders.
You said we're getting missionary plaques?  Awesome!  I found out that I was the only missionary that didn't have one around here (I'm also one of few that's not born and raised Utahn, so.. yeah).  As for what I'd put in it..  I think probably Ether 12,  the verses about weak things becoming strong.  I love that whole exchange with Moroni and the Lord, where Moroni says how terrible he is at writing, and the Lord tells him "Fools mock, but they shall mourn" continuing to explain how through Him we can have weak things made strong.  So, take that however you want for the plaque.  I debated over that for a while, because I love some other scriptures in Moroni (Moroni is my favorite prophet to read, btw) but I think that one fits best.  So there you have it.
Nothing has really happened recently.  This last week the members of the district have been getting on each other's nerves a lot more, which hasn't exactly been fun.  I'm trying to keep the perspective that it's only for a short time that we'll be in such close quarters with these people.  I want to salvage the friendships I've made here.  I mean, they are all such great missionaries, and great people in general!  It would be a shame to leave them on bad terms.  And I can't wait until we get back and we can meet up and ACTUALLY speak Russian to each other!  That'll be great.
I probably haven't told you this, but I end up teaching Russian to my district-mates.  Whenever a concept is introduced, it just sticks with me.  I'm sure that's no surprise to you, but I have definitely appreciated the opportunity to actually help some people while still in the MTC.  Plus, teaching just really focuses me and motivates me to know my material.  I think that applies to any teaching circumstance. 
I am definitely ready to head to Ukraine.  It's felt like forever here.  And it's really interesting how everyone handles the idea of heading out differently.  I'm all ready to go, and have been for the last while.  I know that the language will come best out there, even though it'll be very difficult, and I know that the Lord is on my side.  But most people are just plain freaked out to go. They really want to go, but they don't quite trust that everything will be okay.  Maybe I should be more worried?  Nah. Never.  I had a long conversation with one of my companions about that last night, because he's developed insomnia ever since he realized how short a time we have left.
As of today I am officially not senior companion anymore.  We take turns in our companionship of three. Yup, that was short lived.  Time to crawl back into my shell of lack of responsibility.  Actually, I don't really care about that, except for the fact that Tautkus is now senior, and he has gone crazy with power, telling us all sorts of stuff, "Thus decrees the senior companion".  It's amazing how little power it takes to corrupt some people :P  Even if it's in joking.  So now they have no obligation to listen to me about when to head out or anything.  Not that they did anyways while I did have that power.  They are extreme type A stress levels, which is really funny considering how very not type A I am.  But I digress.
Today I'm a little under the weather with a stomach issue, but it's not anything really terrible.  It just makes it so no food sounds good, even though I'm pretty hungry.  I thought you might like to be updated on that, because I know that if I don't include that kind of stuff then you'll worry that something bad is going on that I'm not telling you about.  I know you, Mom.  I'm fine  :)  See? I'm smiling!
Something random I haven't told you yet; the Dear Elder system isn't perfect.  They keep mixing up my mail with an Elder Braedon Porter going to Korea.  I don't really know how that works, but every once in a while I get a stack of Dear Elders and I'm like "YES" but then I start reading it and it really confuses me.  I'd get a letter that says "Love Mom" at the end, but the contents are full of names and places that I have no idea what they are.  The same happens the other way around, so sometimes I don't end up getting your messages for half a week while they re-sort the misdirected mail.  Luckily he's leaving next week, so they can't get us mixed up anymore (I think..)
I love you all!  Keep keeping me updated, you've done a fantastic job thus far.   You're the best family I could have. Thanks!
And thus it is.
Love,
Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment