For those of you back home that don't speak Russian, that means family. Ha, I speak Russian. Apparently.
It feels so surreal to still be in the MTC. We've been here so long and we're almost there.. The other day I woke up and had "David after the Dentist" run through my head: "Is this gonna be forever?.." Then I started wondering if the rest of my life was a lie, fabricated so that I would be content to live here forever with no real hope of escape. In case you haven't noticed, it gets really, really monotonous here. Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun and learning a lot, but I so wish I could be out in the field now. Less than a month left!
The fourth of July was weird here. I had a strange moment where I realized that it was my first Independence Day in forever where I didn't go to the Bickmore's party. That was a little sad, not gonna lie. But we had a special devotional where we sang American songs and talked about how amazing a work was able to come out of this country based around the ideal of freedom. Some foreigners complained about how it was too nationalistic and degrading, but I thought it was a great way to put the celebration of our country into a gospel perspective. We then were allowed to go out and have an ice cream bar while watching the fireworks from the Stadium of Fire (while on MTC grounds, of course). It was pretty fun. And Elder Brasier (who is now our DL, by the way) kept me sane through the whole thing, throwing out random references to movies and songs and acting epileptic. We've been here too long, we have to entertain ourselves somehow.
Oh! And we had one of the best devotionals on Sunday, in my opinion. Jenny Oaks Baker came and gave a fireside/violin performance, relating it all to our relationship to God. She played "Amazing Grace" and others, and I felt the Spirit so strongly. I have a really strong tie to music and feeling the Spirit, I've noticed. She also had her three daughters get up and perform a song together (I think it was "I Am a Child of God"). They're all between 5 and 11, and it was really good! That's probably my favorite devotional we've had.
Bailey's at EFY!! I can't wait to hear what she thought of it! I can't remember, is she at BYU for her session? If so, she's just three blocks from me. That's so weird! Three blocks and 2 years away.
To Joseph:
Hey, kid! I've been doing really well, thanks for asking! It sounds like you had a lot of exciting times this week with friends and costumes and parties. And you're going to start karate?? That's awesome! Thank you for taking the time to tell me about it. What have I learned here?.. I've learned everything. Absolutely everything. You know, someday you can come here and learn everything too. That's in thirteen years. Are you getting ready? Have you packed yet? Love you, Joe!
Other than that, I don't think a whole lot has happened here. I'm still learning Russian, in case you were wondering. So, yeah. Oh, I think you'd enjoy hearing that I have a little tradition here. Every night when we're going back to the residence hall, Elder Brasier and I sing "Do You Hear the People Sing?" the whole way, instrumentals and all. He enjoys Les Mis as much as I do, so it has been fun talking about all that with him.
Soon I'll find time to get a picture sent to you of my district. I think you'd like them all (whoever else is reading this.. you'd like them too).
Is there anything else you want from me? I can send anything from here, if you'd like.. Not that there's a whole lot here to begin with. Just throwing that out there.
Hey, if you see any of my friends, let them know how to contact me. I've loved hearing from everyone that has already sent me messages!
Love you lots,
Brandon
No comments:
Post a Comment